This weekend a bunch of people volunteered to help us modernize the office. Tasks included removing carpet that had been glued down in the late 70’s or early 80’s, removing ceiling tiles to expose the bare bones of the ceiling rafters, as well as removing various wires left Â over from projects both strange and mysterious.
It was incredible to see everyone working together, young and old, lending hearts and hands to help.
I may not have mentioned this before, but I am a new to the area, and have spent a good deal of time trying to make friends and influence people.
So much time is spent on plant building and making improvements that a “beautification” project on the front office seemed to me a really low priority before we started. But as we worked together throughout the day, hauling out carpet remnants, scraping glue off the floor, and stacking ceiling tiles, I began to realize how important this event was as a symbol of growth and as a step toward maturing the cooperative.
Of course, when we started the project it seemed pretty straightforward. We still have a good deal of work left to do, including scraping glue and painting walls.
At least the hardest part is over; convincing me that this was something worth doing I believe will really pay off.
Make it a better place!